Free workshops for families visiting Houghton’s Richard Long land art exhibition

Children's Arts Workshops at Houghton Hall

Schoolchildren from Loddon and Fairstead took part in a series of art workshops in the grounds of Houghton Hall. They're part of the BeLong education project, exploring the Richard Long sculpture exhibition.Discover the artworks for yourself: two Family Activity Days are coming up, August 17 & July 27. Read more about BeLong at belongathoughton.com/

Posted by Norwich Theatre Royal on Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Families on outings to Houghton Hall this summer will have two special chances to delve into the new exhibition by Turner Prize-winning sculptor Richard Long which is running in the grounds.

Primary schoolchildren from all over Norfolk, as well as secondary school and college students, have already been enjoying a curriculum-linked learning programme relating to the EARTHSKY Exhibition as part of the BeLong education project.

Now two Family Workshop Days are being held during the school summer holidays on Thursday July 27 and Thursday August 17. They are aimed at encouraging parents and children to take part in similar sessions and will be led by BeLong project writer Annetta Berry and BeLong project artist Kate Munro.

The drop-in sessions are free of charge and families who are visiting the hall and exhibition on the day can just turn up to the workshops. They will run from 11am to 4pm next to Richard Long’s A Line in Norfolk land sculpture on the west lawn.

BeLong project manager Fiona Roberts said she hoped the workshops would see family members “discovering and learning together as they build the skills and confidence to explore more works of art”. Visiting families will be able to use the sculpture trail map produced for BeLong and can work together to have a go at making their own mini versions of Richard Long’s land art, as well as finding out about the materials he uses.

The BeLong project, which continues into the autumn term, is led by The Sybil Charitable Trust and funded 90 per cent by a Heritage Lottery Fund grant of £73,300 with the remaining 10 per cent given by the Houghton Estate.

The exhibition, EARTHSKY: Richard Long at Houghton, runs until October 26. Tickets cost £18 for adults. Children 16 years and under get in free.

It is open Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays only, from 11am with last admission at 4pm (one hour before closure).

£18 adult tickets give access to the Richard Long Exhibition, House, Gardens and Grounds.

Adults can visit just the Gardens and Grounds for £10. For more information see  www.houghtonhall.com Tickets may be bought online and will be discounted.

More details on the BeLong Education Project can be found at www.BelongAtHoughton.com